We love Italian food here at home. Unfortunately pasta is not the most healthy food around, because it is made by finely ground wheat flour, so I have experimented with making my own pasta from hvidhvede and that is delicious. It does require a bit more egg compared to the common pasta dough recipe, which uses about 1 egg per 100 grams of flour.[delipress_optin id="29840"]
So here is my version of a healthier sausage carbonara with homemade whole wheat fettuccine. The cream has been replaced with low-fat cooking cream, so it contains less fat, but it is still as creamy. Yummy.
Ingredients 4 Servings
- Eggs 4
- Hvidhvede flour 300 g
- Good quality sausages Homemade if you have them 6
- Bacon cubes Should be panchetta if you can get cubes or thick pieces 100 g
- Egg yolks 4
- Fresh parsley 25 g
- Low-fat cream for cooking The lowest you can get 100 ml
- Parmesan 50 g
- Frozen peas 200 g
- Freshly ground pepper
- Mix egg, a pinch of salt and hvidhvede flour to a dough and knead it thoroughly.
- Divide the dough into 4 equally sized pieces.
- Roll the dough pieces out very thinly and cut it in about ½ cm wide pieces. It is important you roll the dough as thinly as absolutely possible. If you have a pasta machine, now is the time to bring it out.
- Mix the egg yolks, salt, freshly ground pepper, cream, chopped parsley and about half of the cheese. Put to the side for later.
- Slice the sausages into pieces about 2 cm wide.
- If you are using a whole bacon, cut into cubes about 1 cm x 1 cm.
- Warm a frying pan to a middle heat and brown the sausages and the bacon.
- Fill a pot about ¾ and salt it. Turn the heat up all the way.
- When the water is boiling, put in the pasta and cook the pasta 3-4 minutes until the pasta is done..
- Pour the water from the pasta and pour the egg mixture into the pot and mix well. Add peas.
- Divide the pasta onto four plates and top it off with the sausages and bacon mix.
- Divide the remaining cheese over the pasta and server immediately.
- This is my version of a sausages carbonara with homemade whole wheat pasta. Enjoy.
I am crazy about food, cakes, snacks and everything in between. I love to do tons of experiments to find the best recipe, so that you don’t have to.