After reading Søren from GASTROmads delicieous recipe for homemade spiced meat roll and the fact that have just purchased a half pig which contained a pork belly, I decided to post my own version of this Danish classic.
Spiced meat roll (literally rolled sausage) is a classic danish lunch meat, and it is not difficult to make at all. You get a lot more taste out of the homemade version instead of the supermarket version. You need about 4 days before it is ready to serve, but most of that time is just waiting.[delipress_optin id="29840"]
Ingredients 1 Servings
- Pork Belly 1½ kg
- Water 3 l
- Black pepper 1 tbsp
- White pepper 1 tbsp
- Allspice 1 tbsp
- Nutmeg 1 tsp
- Sweet paprika 1 tsp
- Salt 1 tsp
- Fresh thyme
- Fresh parsley
- Leeks 2
- Parsley root 3
- Shallots 3
- Food-grade string
- Take the pork belly and trim it so it is about the same thickness all over.
- Mix 3 l water with 3 dl of salt until it is completely dissolved.
- Roll the belly loosely and put it in the brine. På at plate on in with something heavy on to so that it stays in the brine.
- Put the brine in the refrigirator for 3 days.
- When the three days are up, you should prepare the spice mixture.
- Put black pepper, white pepper and allspice in a mortar and crush all the spices well.
- Add sweet paprika and half a ground nutmeg and mix it all together.
- Chop 6 twigs of thyme and ½ a bundle of parsley finely.
- Unroll the belly and pat it dry.
- Put the spice mix on 2/3 of the belly.
- Put the fresh herbs on top of the spices.
- Roll the part without spices on top of the part with spices.
- Continue to roll the meat so that it rolls on top of the last 1/3 with spices on it.
- Tie a string lengthwise and start pull the string underneath and tighten.
- Keep repeating until the entire belly is tied up, finish with a knot.
- Let the belly simmer in a pot of water with leeks, parsley root and the rest of the parsley in about 3 hours.
- When the belly is done, take it out the water and throw away the water and vegetables.
- Put the belly in your rullepølsepresse and tighten the screws.
- Put it in the refrigirator for at least 12 hours.
- Quite a bit of juice can run out, so make sure you put cover the shelf, or our can put in the a bag.
- Serve on wholegrain ryebread with onion rings (no, not the breaded kind) and homemade mustard. Enjoy.
I am crazy about food, cakes, snacks and everything in between. I love to do tons of experiments to find the best recipe, so that you don’t have to.